Senior Software Engineer
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2023
We believe that learning a language should be fun, rewarding, and a gateway to the best experiences life has to offer. If you agree, we’d love to talk.
If you are an experienced software engineer looking to use your talent in teaching the world a second language, take a look at Voxy. Voxy software engineers will change the way millions of people around the world learn languages by using sound science combined with innovative (and patented!) technology. You are implementing research-driven learning activities coupled with live streaming for topic-based live tutoring sessions using advanced algorithms to build a customized experience using authentic content sources from names you know (Bloomberg, AP, Financial Times and more.). Voxy’s goal is to become THE vendor of first choice in the $80 billion dollar language education market and our development team is instrumental in reaching this goal.
Our mission is to empower people to achieve their goals by breaking down the world’s language barriers.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Build a revamped best in class activity framework and create activities that help our learners to excel at language learning
- Architect and document software solutions for our learner facing team that integrate cleanly with our products and services
- Produce nicely-instrumented code that is testable and deployable without downtime
- Mentor other engineers in the ways of software engineering, including proposing standards that can be used across the engineering organization
- INNOVATE by incorporating AI, NLP, Machine Learning into multi learner/teacher activities that you help invent
What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of experience working as a software developer
- Python programming experience
- Curiosity and knowledge about technologies and architectural patterns of software engineering across the entire stack
- Pragmatism in understanding when to build a solution that scales to 1 million users or works for 100 users
- Ability to design data models that reflect the Voxy business using advanced SQL/NoSQL/ORM’s
What Would Be Nice To Have:
- Django Rest Framework and/or FastAPI
- B.S. or higher in computer science, science or engineering discipline or equivalent experience
Working here, you'll enjoy:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Great benefits: medical insurance, cell phone & wifi reimbursement, home office & wellness budget, team events
- Remote friendly work policies
- Professional development budget
- HONE Membership - live training platform with programs designed for leaders, managers and individual contributors(ICs) to develop skills to succeed in the workplace
- Language classes w/ Voxy & Fluentify
- Work with an awesome international team of super bright, creative, talented, and passionate individuals based around the world
- Time Zones: ET(Eastern Time), BRT(Brasilia Time), SAMT(Samara Standard Time), Central European Time (CET)
Voxy Engineering Team’s Values:
- We trust our colleagues by respecting their decisions and opinions to collaborate effectively, do the right thing and maintain good working relationships.
- Open Communication:
- Communicate openly by sharing our thoughts (pros & cons), being outspoken, having important decisions written down for the entire team, and staying in touch with the rest of Voxy outside Engineering to ensure that the team is on the same page and build & increase trust both within the engineering team and within Voxy.
- Consider the impact of our choices to find an effective way to solve a problem.
- Engineers Help Design the Product:
- Actively direct the product to design elegant features at the early stages of the design process as well as continue to improve the design when we work on them.
- >>You can read more about the Voxy Engineering Team’s values in an article written by Iswarya Parupudi, VP of Engineering at Voxy. See link here.
Voxy, founded in 2010, is a trailblazing language training platform tailored to meet the specific language needs of international organizations. With a mission to enhance productivity, foster collaboration, and unleash human potential, Voxy has established itself as a global leader in the field of corporate language education. With a robust foundation and an ever-evolving vision, Voxy has supported corporate clients across 150 countries by delivering live language coaching led by certified instructors and an expansive library of role-specific courses that bridge critical soft and technical skill gaps.
Today, Voxy's impact spans the globe, with dedicated teams operating across multiple regions, including the United States, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Thailand, Malaysia, Spain, Italy, and Ireland. Originally focused on providing English language instruction, Voxy has evolved to offer an array of languages, including Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, German, and French, catering to a diverse range of learners.
We believe in a workplace that is meant for everyone. Voxy is an equal opportunity employer.
Voxy believes that a creative, engaged and diverse team can transform the market and positively impact people's lives through education. We are sure that the mission of building the most effective way to learn English is done with a plurality of ideas and points of view, which is why we work to promote Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives in our company.
In addition to training, benchmarking, and community partnerships, we also work in alignment with our internal DEI Committee.
As a reflection of our beliefs around inclusion in the workplace, our selection process has no restrictions; our goal is to assemble a diverse team that will help us be leaders in our market.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. Learn more about our DEI initiatives and ERGs by clicking here.