Belmont, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2023
At Zenith Aerospace, we design, build, and fly large scale unmanned aircraft from the ground up. We recently closed a funding round led by Founders Fund — the first investor in SpaceX — and with the wind in our sails, we want to grow our team with driven, talented, bootstrapping engineers and technicians from diverse backgrounds and paths of life. If you are excited about aerospace, tackling world-class engineering problems, and making big things fly, you are in the right spot. Join us!
Zenith Aerospace is seeking a talented Electrical Engineer to join our team to design avionics and electrical systems for an exciting new aircraft design. You'll be taking ownership of electronic systems hardware and/or software from design through prototyping to flight test and production. This is a hands-on position, deeply involved in the development and testing of components and systems. This position reports to the Head of Avionics and is located on-site at our headquarters in Belmont, CA.
What you'll do:
- Participate in design through architecture definition, prototyping, testing, and ultimately productionisation of avionics and electrical systems
- Hands on development for the following systems: autopilot, power electronics, VMS, communication, mission management, ground and flight test systems
- Define requirements, architectures, interfaces, and communication protocols between various subsystems
- Specify and source components; work with various vendors to customize designsIntegrate the subsystems into the ground test rig
- Test for functionality, failure modes, EMI, and troubleshoot hardware and software
- Participate in flight testing and data analysis
- Refine the system design for rate production, creating appropriate documentation, work instructions, and acceptance testing procedures
- Work closely with other electrical, mechanical, software, firmware, and test engineers to deliver fully functional aircraft systems
- Collaborate closely with aircraft electricians and mechanics to design, fabricate, test and troubleshoot the system
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering or closely related engineering discipline
- Strong skills in one or more of the following areas: power electronics, aircraft avionics, data acquisition, vehicle management systems, embedded systems, flight controls
- Hands-on experience with building and debugging hardware / software in a flight test environment
- Experience working closely with aircraft electricians and mechanics
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast paced environment with various teams / departments within the company
- 5+ years of progressive working experience within the aerospace / aviation industry
- Advanced degree in relevant discipline
- Experience in design, integration and testing of a full VMS and electrical system in an unmanned aircraft
- Strong knowledge and understanding of software development best practices and airworthiness standards
- Knowledge of redundant automation systems and fault tolerance / recovery schemes
- Experience designing electrical systems to be utilized in high altitude environments
- Experience with flight test data acquisition systems and telemetry methods
- Experience designing an electrical system for regulatory certification
- Design-for-reliability: including use of DFMEA and fault trees
- Experience creating and conducting component and system qualification test campaigns
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement asked for above. Data shows the most impactful business outcomes are from teams with individuals with a breadth of backgrounds, lived experiences, and skills. For accommodation for an application or to proceed in the hiring process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are headquartered in Belmont, California, USA. We are predominantly an on-site work environment with regular expectation of working on-site with flexibility should the role allow. The base compensation is targeted between $120,000 - $170,000 annually, depending on experience level. Beyond base salary, we offer incentive stock options, comprehensive health insurance options, and four  weeks of PTO annually, among other benefits.
This position will require access to information protected under the U.S. export controls laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.