Belmont, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2023
At Zenith Aerospace, we design, build, and fly large scale unmanned aircraft from the ground up. We recently closed a funding round led by Founders Fund — the first investor in SpaceX — and with the wind in our sails, we want to grow our team with driven, talented, bootstrapping engineers and technicians from diverse backgrounds and paths of life. If you are excited about aerospace, tackling world-class engineering problems, and making big things fly, you are in the right spot. Join us!
We are seeking an experienced Composite Technician to help in the initial builds, testing, and productionization of our unmanned, high-altitude aircraft. This role requires a wide knowledge of composite manufacturing techniques (prepreg layup, infusion, RTM, tape placement,...), product knowledge, and openness to trialing new and exploratory methods of the building during the initial phase of fabrication and assembly.
- Laying up small (few inches) to large parts (40+ft long)
- Fitting of Honeycomb, foam and syntactic core
- Vacuum bagging, curing and processing in out of autoclave
- Fitting and bonding of composite components
- Assembly of metallic components into CFRP and GFRP structures
- Integration of mechanical hardware
- Use 3DExperience / CATIA
- Use laser projector and CNC ply cutter
- Work in close collaboration with the CNC machine shop for model and mold making as well as part trimming
- Perform other standard composite and integration building techniques and practices as industries such as aerospace, space and other composite workplaces demand
- Proper training will be provided by our world-class team of experts if required
- 5+ years of composite manufacturing
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Ability to read blueprints
- Follow instructions with extreme precision
- Be willing to advise on processes to make us a more efficient organization
Bonus points for:
- Experience with prepreg layup (monolithic, sandwich co-curing, sandwich co-bounding, infusion, RTM, tape/fiber placement…
- Experience with laser projectors
- Experience with CNC ply cutters
- Ability to operate ovens, autoclaves, etc.
Role Responsibilities Require:
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime, and weekends as needed
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement asked for above. Data shows the most impactful business outcomes are from teams with individuals with a breadth of backgrounds, lived experiences, and skills. For accommodation for an application or to proceed in the hiring process, please e-mail email@example.com.
We are headquartered in Belmont, California, USA. We are predominantly an on-site work environment with regular expectation of working on-site with flexibility should the role allow. The base compensation is targeted between $35 - $60/hour, depending on experience level. Beyond base compensation, we offer incentive stock options, comprehensive health insurance offerings, and four  weeks of PTO annually, among other benefits.
This position will require access to information protected under the U.S. export controls laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.